How to be a successful 21st century in-house counsel
Cost: $2 000/R32 325 (Hybrid) OR $1 160/R18 750 (Online)
Mode of delivery: This course will be taught via Hybrid for 5 days (Mon-Fri) on 9:30am - 3:30pm (BST). The online only option will be taught for 8 days (Tues & Thurs) from 5pm - 7pm (SAST) and will be interactive, with opportunity for questions and discussion and sharing of ideas.
This course is designed for current counsel who are practicing in an “in-house” environment (corporations, NGO’s, government, and academia) and is taught by five distinguished and internationally experienced in-house counsel. These counsel together have over 50 years of in-house counsel experience, in a variety of industries and organizational and geographic settings. The focus of the course will be on the challenges of being an in-house counsel in today's rapidly changing and increasingly demanding legal environment.
Topics will include:
- Risk management
- Relations with boards of directors and executives
- Managing legal costs
- Engaging outside counsel
- Understanding litigation and arbitration
- Navigating a regulatory environment
- Protecting trade secrets
- Understanding the role of one’s entity in the industry
- Intergating into an executive team
- Fostering an effective compliance structure
- Building an ethical and effective legal department
- Mitigating legal liability
- Anticipating disruptions (such as the pandemic) and much more. It’s design is intended to make you a better ‘in-house’ counsel, and contribute towards a successful career in that role.
The instructors will include:
- Edward A. Ryan Former Executive Vice-President and Global General Counsel, Marriott International Inc. (J.D. University of Pennsylvania Law School)
- Jo Saxe Levy Vice-President and General Counsel Asia-Pacific and Japan, Intel Corporation (J.D. Harvard Law School)
- Josie Lyon Former Vice-President and Regional Counsel, Marriott International Inc.,Former Director, Virgin Active South Africa (LL.B Exeter University and Guildford College of Law. Solicitor – Hong Kong, England and Wales)
- Gregg Brelsford Former General Counsel Progexion, Far Cliffs Multimedia. Former Division Counsel, Agilent Technologies Inc. Former Deputy General Counsel, Objective Systems Integrators Inc (J.D. Harvard Law School)