ILI-SACE and UP Law recently offered the first session of a four week Corporate Governance Course for the URA. The course will enhance the corporate governance of the URA, enabling more efficient tax collection in the country. This is the first in a series of programs under the partnership between ILI-SACE and UP.
It is expected that a number of Institutions in South Africa as well as the rest of Africa will benefit from a variety of executive education programs at the intersection of compliance, law and governance – that will be offered under the partnership.
Below are summarized biographies of the faculty.
- Bernd Schlenther: Lecturer, advisor, expert and author on the impact of corruption and money laundering on customs and tax, the value of inter-agency cooperation and good governance.
- Irene-Marie Esser: Attorney of the High Court of South Africa, a Professor of corporate law and governance and Lecturer of corporate governance, corporate social responsibility and company law.
- Piet Delport: Professor in company and securities law, Lecturer and author on corporate law, former advisor to the Minister of Trade and Industry, and former Chairman of a multi-billion rand insurance company.
- Javade Chaudhri: International transactional lawyer, advisor and expert on corporate governance, ethics, compliance, and internal investigations, faculty member and co-founder of ILI-SACE..
- Kitili Mbathi: Chairman of the Board of Directors of Stanbic Bank Holdings, extensive banking and finance experience.
- Tanushiya Mudely: Senior advisor for ILI-SACE, South African qualified lawyer, compliance executive and extensive experience of international investment banks and corporates.
The faculty have been engaging virtually with six members of the Board of Directors of the URA including the Board Chairman. The sessions which take place every Wednesday and Thursday (for two hours each), include the following topics:
- The corporate governance landscape-necessary institutional information
- Governance policies, principles, and best practices
- The elements And qualities of top performing boards
- Corporate control, accountability and disclosure
- Assessment methods relating to good corporate governance
- Ethics, social responsibility, and combating corrupt practices
- Tax risk management and legal and regulatory compliance